Friday, September 02, 2005

Poetry 3

The English sonnet, also called the Shakespearean sonnet, has a rhyme scheme of abab cdcd efef gg. Shakespeare used this form in his sonnets. His Sonnet 130, which was published in 1609, follows:



My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun-

Coral is far more red than her lips' red-

If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun-

If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head:

I have seen roses damasked, red and white,

But no such roses see I in her cheeks,

And in some perfumes is there more delight

Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.

I love to hear her speak, yet well I know

That music hath a far more pleasing sound.

I grant I never saw a goddess go;

My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.

And yet by heaven I think my love as rare

As any she belied with false compare.

Vocabulary
mistress: kb. 1 nyonya rumah. 2 kekasih, gundik. 3 nyonya. the dog's m. nyonya pemilik anjing.
dun: kkt. (dunned) menagih, mengganggu dengan tagihan.' or a dull (tumpul) greyish-brown colour
damask: · adj. poetic/literary of the colour of a damask rose.
· v. poetic/literary decorate with or as if with a variegated pattern.
delight: kb. 1 kesenangan. 2 kesukaan. -kkt. sangat menyenangkan, menggembirakan hati.
-kki. senang. -delighted ks. sangat gembira / senang.
reek: kki. 1 berbau busuk. That spoiled meat reeks Daging yang busuk itu sudah bau.
2 berbau. His clothes r. of tobaco smoke Pakaian-pakaiannya berbau tembakau.
hath: archaic (ks. tidak dipakai lagi, kuno, kolot, lama. an a. expression perkataan yang tidak
dipakai lagi) third person singular present of have.
grant: kb. dana/uang bantuan. -kkt. 1 mengabulkan (a request). 2 memberi (a charter).
3 mengakui. 4 tanggung. grant-in-aid bantuan uang. -granted boleh, silakan. to take for
granted 1 diterima selaku benar. 2 menganggap pasti. granting that sungguhpun.
belie:kkt. mengingkari, memungkiri. His action b. his principles Tindakan-tindakannya
mengingkari pendiriannya.

1 comment:

bagi info said...

nice words..